2.23.2009

My kids are asking questions...

Before you read this entry, please note that I am in no way putting down your religious belief or mocking your faith. I, without question, respect that every person has the right to their own faith and opinions...
I just ask that you respect my right to the same.

My kids are asking me questions about God and Jesus. What the heck do I do now?

The pre-school / daycare they go to is run by a Christian affiliated organization ... in my mind I knew that they would hear about God, Jesus and all that jazz at school - I knew that this day would come - but, I did exactly what I normally do, ignored it, tucked it all somewhere in a back corner of my brain, now I'm regretting that decision - I am really unprepared.

As a kid I was catholic. As an adult, I have been in denial.

I saw on a tv show one time that they think people with faith have something different in their DNA than those without faith. I admire the people with faith - I really do. I admire all of you that believe and don't doubt. That's my problem...

I doubt.

What about all of the other religions in the world? What if they are right? What if all I was taught was wrong? What? Who? How? Do we really know? Guess that's where that whole 'faith' thing comes into play, huh?!

I want to give my children the opportunity to make their own decisions about God - faith... Maybe it is time I start taking them to church, so they are able to have their questions answered. But, will they receive the right answers? Unfortunately, we do not live in an area of religious diversity. That would be great - we could visit different places, learn different things...

They are young. Only 4 & 5... questions are pretty basic at this point. But, I fear, the questions are only going to get tougher.

Wonder if anyone has a book with all of the answers they wouldn't mind lending me?

4 comments:

The Girl said...

Yo Adrienne: I know exactly how you feel. I am also a raised Catholic and have a lot of doubts. I also took my kids to different churches to experience diffent things. That's all you can do kid, I don't think a book like that exists.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'd look on Amazon, just in case. I was like you - in fact, I was an admitted agnostic for years. Then, I became Catholic as an adult. So, I do understand where you're coming from. Perhaps just share what you know about different religions and leave it up to them to pursue one or nothing.

practicallyhealthy said...

Good morning "TtFiO"

Great post. If you want your kids to make there own well informed desisions about God and religion, why not visit with them a bunch of different "churches" from different belief backgrounds. Personally I don't believe that to be spiritual and to believe in God we need to go to church. Depending on the church, that might even slow down your spiritual growth ;)
Good luck. I do believe in "God" and the best way I can teach my kids about God is to be the best example to what He has created. Check out my husbands blog, you might find it interesting. Www.titfortat6.blogspot.com

Frank said...

I'm an agnostic leaning towards atheist. While I doubt religion in general, I do believe that it can contribute a lot of good to society, and I would in no way try to dissuade anyone from their own personal beliefs. I just prefer to keep these things to myself, and I'm not terribly thrilled when people always insist that Jesus loves me.