4.18.2009

Ranting - and some raving too!

I know I'm not around a lot these days, sorry! Since most of my 'peeps' are on facebook - I have become really lazy about blogging.

I've been in a pretty pissy mood ... but even now, in the one place that I feel like I should be able to 'lay it all out'... I can't. I have started typing this about 7 different times... type, delete, type, delete... now that I *know* some of you (i.e... we share a couple of laughs here and there on facebook), I'm afraid if I type the schtuff that swirls around in my head - you'd all go 'this girl is fuckin' nuts - I'm outta here'!!

Instead - I will tell you about Easter!

My husband told my brother-in-law that HE was thinking we might start taking the kids to church 'so they can learn about god and stuff'. My brother-in-law, a born again christian, was not very happy about this. Guess who heard all about it? DING DING DING - you're right - ME ME ME!!!

I never just come out and share my opinions with my husbands family in regards to what I really think about politics and religion (fun schtuff like that), unless they ask. I guess I figure that speaking my mind with them - it will cause problems... here, there - everywhere. BUT, if they ask me what I think about something, I'm not going to lie. I will tell them the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - you asked, your fault if you don't like the answer.

Long story short... my brother-in-law knows now that I consider myself agnostic. (I thought as I got older... I would move more toward spirituality, nope - didn't happen that way. Instead, I find myself moving further and further away) The bro-in-law wasn't very happy. What was I supposed to do, lie to him? I wasn't disrespectful, I didn't mock him... I just told him the truth. He told me he would pray for me. That's fine. It was what he said next that pissed me off. He told me that it took and 'intervention' for him to find the lord... and maybe 'that is what i need' - he had 15 people sit him down and pray hard for him - tell him all about the glory of god...

what the fuck?

i get it. if you believe in it - I am SUPER happy for you. SUPER, SUPER, SUPER!!! But, anyone that knows me - knows that I am claustrophobic. I get sorta panicky when I am in crowds and avoid elevators because of all the people in close proximity to me... set me in a room with a bunch of 'christian interventioners' telling me what I SHOULD believe and why - what do you think is going to happen?

The 'i respect your belief hat' is gonna come off. I'm gonna get nasty. I'm gonna get rude.

Seriously, why can't YOU have YOUR beliefs and I will have my 'lack' of my beliefs... we can still sit down and have a laugh, right? I have always been respectful of you - I have bowed my head in your home when you pray at meal time, I have kept my religious opinions to myself (until you decided you *had* to ask) - why do things have to change?

DAMN.

And this is the 'stuff' in my head that I share... really makes you wonder what I don't share, huh?? (or not... I'm really just pretending to myself that you would be interested)

4 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I am Catholic and my husband is Agnostic. When we attend events hosted by our parish (Fish Frys, spaghetti dinners, etc.) even those who know he is agnostic treat him as an equal. I think some religions are just more tolerant than others on differences.

The Girl said...

Wow, what a schmuck. I give you credit for holding your temper. I thought interventions were for druggies and alcoholics?

Warped Mind of Ron said...

I believe there is something, but have no clue what it is. I will respect others beliefs up until they stop respecting mine and then I will go all bitchy on em. I would certainly not put up with your BIL approach. Oh and it's your blog so if you want to put crazy on it you should do so, I mean have you ever read mine? Totally crazy.

Frank said...

I'm agnostic leaning towards atheist. I respect the beliefs of others, I don't ridicule them. I just don't like having religion FORCED upon me. People can pray for me all they want - that's fine, but I don't like the idea of being closed in a room with people who are trying to convince me of what I should believe. Aren't beliefs supposed to be a personal choice? The whole locked-in-a-room thing just sounds like...brainwashing.